Sunday, March 21, 2021

Tomorrow, It's Only a Day Away




"Procrastination is the compatriot of mediocrity"


I have been meaning to write this blog for some time but haven't gotten around to it.  See what I did there?  Yeah you did.

A journey beyond mediocrity and towards mastery is navigated by continuous self reflection and discovery.  Without it you have no bearing on your current position.  

Hi.  I'm Mike and I am a procrastinator.  I do not recall a time that I wasn't.  There are many reasons I can use to justify delaying the start or the completion of a project or task. 

And in no particular order;

  1. I don't have time.
  2. I'm not sure how to start.
  3. I'm not sure where to start (see last week's post).
  4. I really don't feel like it.
  5. Ugh, I might mess it up.
  6. Oh look! Butterflies!
  7. Well, at least it is functional, I can worry about the finishing touches later.
  8. Paralysis by analysis.
  9. Hey look!  Squirrel! (his name is Morty BTW).
  10. It's too nice to be doing that today.
  11. It's too miserable to be doing that today.
  12. And many more.
As I have mentioned in a previous post or two, my goals for my journey are purposeful, specific and in this instance, productive beyond my journey.  In a symbolic attempt to rid myself of procrastination, I am starting and/or completing all tasks and projects that are on my plate (even the ones that fell of my plate, landed on the floor and got kicked under the fridge).  These will be completed this year. 

My bedroom wall now looks something similar to a Gant chart in a project manager's office.  I have 96 post it notes on my wall.  Some are small tasks, some are larger projects. Ten of these already have completion X's on them.  The benefit with this approach is although I can't remember 96 things, when I have a moment I go take a look at the wall and find something that works with my free time that day.  As this is the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing at night, I am able to plan and strategize time for the larger projects.

This goal is out there for all to see.  It is my goal and I am ultimately accountable to myself, however putting out to the universe is also a good incentive.  I will post my progress from time to time.

Thanks for reading.

Mike




No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...