Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Some times you have to get into the weeds

Further to last week's post...

What physical requirements can I do at this given moment with or without modification.  As I worked through this question the past few weeks, I was surprised how many things I could do without modification, however I soon realized I was asking myself the wrong question, or at least I needed to ask yet another question.  How many "X's" (eg. push ups, sit ups, etc.) can I do properly before I have to start modifying them? Then the question is how many modified "X's" can I do?

This may be a simple concept, but I have found myself quite overwhelmed trying to navigate what I can, cannot and shouldn't do.  I added the "shouldn't" as there are several things I feel I can do in the moment, however, I end up paying the price one or two days later.

This all is where journaling has become so integral in my journey.  I am this first to admit that I am not the best at this.  This is something I need to improve on.  It is not even difficult but it truly comes down to self discipline.  Although I have been journaling my overall numbers, I have also started tracking the non-modified and modified in addition to the totals.  I have also been making notes regarding my heavier fitness days (stretching, which forms and how many reps as well as speed, power and any modifications) and I try to compare this with how I am feeling the next day or two.  Now I recall a certain Sifu mentioning this for years, even with this specific focus. 

Funny how somethings don't sink in until they become imperative. 

Numbers


Thanks for reading


Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...