Recently, I have found myself in a discussion about doing kind things for strangers. There was a slight debate that given we are in another country and culture that we may offend people depending on the act of kindness. This discussion had me second guessing myself on going out of my way to do something genuinely nice for a stranger. Afterall, I would not want to offend someone either.
Jackie and I have been staying this small Mexican town for four days and we have been walking everywhere. About two or three blocks away from where we are staying, in a fairly poor neighborhood, we noticed a little old lady who is confined to a wheelchair. She is always sitting in her doorway smiling and waving at people as they walk by. I am not sure if she was aware how much this simple act affected us. It had such an effect that when we went by once and she wasn't there, we genuinely missed her.
As we were picking up supper for a group of us, I noticed she was at her door. We decided to get her a individual packaged meal as well. This is where the debate started. At the end of the day, I do not want offend anyone, however I felt that the benefits outweighed the risks. What was intended to be a quick five minute drop some food off and say thank you to her for her kindness, turned into probably a 30 minute visit with her and her grandchildren. Her grandson was able to translate with google and we found out that she recently had a stroke and previously to that she did everything for her family and neighbors but is now unable to. We had a lovely visit and I feel that would have been an amazing opportunity lost, not just to do and act of kindness, but a genuine life experience to connect with someone and hear their story.
What started as an act of kindness on our part, got flipped on us as I truly feel that we were the recipients at the end of the day.
The moral of the story?
I dunno...
I suppose be genuine and compassionate and do not be afraid to reach out to others.
Thanks for reading
Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment