Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Self-Discipline and Accountability


So it's been a bit since I have posted.  

I missed one week, then two, then it's almost "out of sight, out of mind" and it's gets easier not to post because I have let it leave the forefront and slip to the back, hidden by this and that.  Other "priorities" that creep to the forefront and obscure my priority of posting.  

Blogging is part of the journey to mastery and provides a record of where I was and where I am.  Just like any mapping app that we have all become accustomed to, not only to you have to know where you want to be, you also need to know where you are. It is hard to get to point B when you have no idea where point A is. I find it difficult at times to view blogging as what it is intended to be, a tool. Sometimes it feels like a chore, a hurdle, something to overcome and get out of the way.  It is those times when I need self discipline the most and ultimately need to hold myself accountable to achieve my goals. Although the accountability is truly mine and mine alone, I forget that I am not on this journey alone. My journey is intertwined with the journey of my teammates, family, friends, colleagues and even people I may not even know.

I was reminded of that recently.  I received a very simple text. All it said was "missing the weekly blog update". I was taken back by this.  It wasn't from a teammate or my immediate family.  It was from my oldest friend that I do not get to see very often. I did not feel judged nor did I feel like he was calling me out.  He was just letting me know that he is part of my journey. This was very impactful.  Although I am ultimately responsible for achieving my goals it sure helps to have a cricket chirping in your ear every once in a while to remind me. 

Thanks Kevin. Odd name for a cricket.

I have been struggling lately with self discipline.  Between work, family and Kung Fu, I have a lot of priorities that I must balance.  I am not unique with we all have to balance our priorities. I have always struggled to a degree with this.  I suppose that is one of the major motivators for me to be on this journey.  I often use work as an excuse, that it drains me, physically and mentally.  It does, but it is only an excuse.  I have taken some vacation for these few weeks, I have (to a degree) removed my excuse, yet it is day four and I am just getting to the blogging and other priorities. Self discipline in itself has  become a  priority.  

This needs  to be my focus. 

This will be my focus.

Thanks for reading.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...