My journey in Kung Fu started many years ago when we signed our kids up for the children's classes. After a few years, my wife and I got tired of sitting on the bench and signed up for adult classes. I got to a point in my training where I needed to decide, am I just taking lessons or am I becoming a martial artist? What is my intent? What are my goals? Am I here to get a black belt? Am I here to become a black belt? If so, what does all of that mean?
After some soul searching and self reflection, it was clear to me, my journey in Kung Fu and towards mastery was about becoming a better person, father, husband, friend, colleague, community member and yes, martial artist. For me, this is far more than earning a black belt, I need to become a black belt. Which conveniently, brings us to the title question we have all been waiting for...what is a black belt?
I feel that the term "black belt" has surpassed that of the noun and is more of an adjective. A descriptor of someone and to an extent their character, inside and outside of the kwoon or dojo. It is a person who has demonstrated a certain level of proficiency in the martial arts and continues to pursue mastery in all aspects of their life. Someone who is a student and a teacher, is disciplined and dedicated, compassionate and empathetic. They lead by example and foster growth and mastery in themselves and others and are accountable to their discipline, teachers, students and community.
I am grateful to be a part of this Kung Fu community. Every time I enter the kwoon, I am humbled by those around me. I am affected each and every day by those who demonstrate what it means to be a black belt. People who display everything I have described above and so much more.
My journey is toward mastery and becoming a black belt.
Thanks for reading
Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment