As I reflect on growing up, adulthood, parenthood and many other phases of my life, I can see I have had many examples. As a young child, I tried to emulate everyone I saw, parents, siblings, friends even that "cool" guy at school. As I got older, I became a bit more selective. As a teen with a male teenaged brain, I gravitated to those who were more rebellious and fun loving. As moved past this phase, I started to understand who I was and who I wanted to be and even though I didn't have a complete grasp as to what that was, I started seeking out and emulating people that were aligned with my half-baked vision of myself.
I discovered that everyone is an example. An example of this or that. A good example or not so good example. The key is you can still learn from both. Emulate the good example and do what ever the opposite of emulate is to the not so good example.
Here I am a few years later (few is a general term), I think I have a solid understanding of who I have become and even to this day I try to learn (not so much emulate) from people I respect and value. But one thing that has escaped me for many years is, while I was on my life long journey of self discovery if you will, I too have become an example. While I am still learning and forging who I am, others are inevitably looking to me to help them on their journey.
Sometimes I have been a great example, sometimes not so much.
As a parent, spouse, uncle, sibling, son, healthcare professional, leader, martial artist and community member, I know I am an example.
What I have to ask myself each and everyday is, what kind of example do I want to be?
Thanks for reading
Mike

No comments:
Post a Comment