This weekend marks two weeks into a year long challenge to better myself mentally and physically. A journey to take me past mediocrity and on the path to mastery. I have pondered this as of late. Mastery, as I see it, isn't necessarily a destination but the path or pursuit of excellence. If you leave that path, so ends the journey, which by default becomes mediocrity.
But I am getting ahead of myself.
Before I concern myself with staying on the path, I need to find it.
It seems pretty straight forward...
- Create a list of requirements and goals
- Complete the requirements
- Achieve the goals
- Go to bed every night a different person than who you woke up as
- Rinse, lather and repeat
Easy, peazy... Wait a minute.
From a 10,000 foot view, this may somewhat accurate. However, what is missing from this macro-view is the detail. The hundreds, thousands even millions of tiny little steps required between steps 2-5. The continuous adjustment in navigation. Hold on, as I type this out it just struck me, the journey towards mastery isn't as simple as path to follow. If you are following a path laid out for you, you are following someone else's path. Now, as a starting point, this is okay as it will eventually give you the tools to forge your own path.
Sorry, I need to take another step back...
I have completed step 1. But, after two weeks into this year, I am finding steps 2-5 are challenging. I have already been struggling with time management, organization and mindfulness. My numbers are okay, I have surplus in some areas and am lacking in others. Taking the time to realize this and take action on a regular basis is integral to maintaining proper navigation toward mastery. For me, the path to mastery is no path at all.
I am setting sail from point A. I am not even sure where point B is, but I know the direction. The tricky part of sailing is there are many extrinsic factors that influence your direction. Before you know it, you can be blown off course, water currents can silently change your heading or even slow you down and the unexpected chaos of a storm can completely turn you around. There will always be wind and current and storms, such is life. What is integral to staying on your journey is constantly checking your navigation and making course corrections as you go.
Well, this really is not where I was going, but I am intrigued where it landed. This will give me plenty more to ponder.
Thanks for reading.
Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment