I am sure we have all heard the many clichés about pain; "No pain, no gain", "Pain is weakness leaving your body!".
If these are remotely true than I am about gain a whole lot of strength.
Well, I am starting to learn anyone, especially someone in their fifties determined to get in the best shape of their life, needs to be careful. It is important to distinguish the difference between soreness and pain. The first (within reason) can be the reward for proper exercise, the result of building muscle. But how do we distinguish the healthy productive burn from an indicator of something more serious like a developing injury?
It can be difficult to figure that out on your own. Muscle soreness and aches may be normal, however any kind of joint pain is not. It is important to listen to your body to minimize or mitigate injury yet still continue progressing.
This is where I have been these past few weeks with increasing pain during workouts that then continued at other times. I have needed to modify my approach to certain activities, but have also taken this opportunity to focus on some of my other less physical and more cerebral requirements. Sometimes the increments in incremental progression get smaller sometimes they get bigger, the important thing is to be aware of when you need to push your limits and when you need to acknowledge them.
Thanks for reading.
Mike


No comments:
Post a Comment