Sunday, May 9, 2021

May Showers

 


As I sit here and look at this picture of a cute little blue flower, I struggle to find the words I want or even to put the words I do find together in an articulate way.  I want to write about all the rain we have had in the last few days. About how it limits what you can do, and can keep you cooped up in the house. I'd like to explain that if you focus on the greyness and the wind, even the thought of it can chill you, even get you depressed.  The words just don't seem to be coming to me.

Yesterday, as we stared out the living room window, contemplating what to do with our gloomy day, we decided to hit the road, do some errands and deliver some packages and kids hand-me-down clothing to various family in various towns.  Our visits were simple drop offs on decks, with a wave through a window or a short conversation from a distance usually through a screen door. After a few hours and a few hundred kilometers, everything was delivered and we once again were staring out the window (this time a windshield), contemplating what to do.  We decided to drive. We had no destination planned. We just drove.  Our drive ended some 12 hours and 1000 kilometers later. We saw rain and snow, fields and mountains, some more rain and even a bit of sunshine.  We saw lots of young deer frolicking on the road side and lakes, rivers and even a few waterfalls.  We talked, we contemplated, we planned and conspired. We even sat in silence.  I don't even think the radio was turned on once.  We walked, hiked  and explored different areas.

We saw a lot of rain on our journey, which is good.  All this rain got me thinking of spring and once again starting anew. After the cold wind subsides and the grey clouds dissipate, the sun will come back. The rain brings a nurturing freshness to the air and the ground.  Soon, we will feel the warmth of the sun on our faces and witness the rebirth of nature.  

A common theme amongst many of us lately, is the feeling of those dark clouds that come with isolation and the frustration of being cooped up with the limits of what we can and should be doing.

Just remember...

The sun will be back and those clouds will dissipate.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...