Sunday, August 22, 2021

Trimming the Sails


I have previously likened to this journey towards mastery I am on as setting sail on the open water.  

As I look back, I know where my starting point was, but when I set sail, I really didn't have a good understanding of my starting point, my destination or even the fact that I was on a journey. I left the pier but without grasping that I could actually go somewhere, I just floated around the marina for quite some time. Aimlessly at first, then as I became familiar with my surroundings, my boat and paid attention to other ocean goers, I noticed that they were going somewhere. I saw other people in the harbour floating around like me as the harbour was safe and comfortable. But where were those other people going? They seemed to have purpose.  They seemed to have great control over their boats and they were able to use them to take them where they wanted to be.  

Somewhere outside of the harbour, somewhere beyond mediocrity.

As I started to realize there was a whole world beyond the jetty, I ventured out further and further. I followed those others ahead of me. Now, it is important to understand I am still new to sailing.  I am still becoming familiar with my boat. Grasping the nuances of wind and currents. Trying to anticipate challenges on the water. Knowing the limits and the capabilities of my riggings.  Some of them seem old and tattered, but there is lots of life left in them and I am learning how to recognize how far I can push them before they become injured (I mean broken).  

So, I left my moorage.  I set sail on my old rickety boat.  This vessel is definitely in disrepair. It seems crazy, but I am making repairs and cleaning it up as I sail towards mastery. Although I am on my own journey, I am not the first to travel these waters and I have been given the opportunity to still see those ahead of me on the horizon.  They continue to provide assistance on sailing and how to properly use my boat and all of its equipment. If it weren't for those ahead of me (and for that matter, all around me) I truly would have never left the dock let alone the harbour.

So, where am I?  I am on the open water, but I am not alone. When I have contended with damaged equipment, others have provided tools. When I lost my navigational instruments others have helped point me in the right direction until I got them working again..  I have battled currents and inclement weather and I have lost the wind more times than I can count.  I have been supported and assisted to find my wind.

From the outset, I did know my journey may take longer, however I used that as an excuse not to push my boat to its limits, to not get it cleaned up. I have been given an opportunity to assess my boat, its riggings and its performance.  I know it can do better, and it will.

Thanks for reading


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...