Sunday, February 13, 2022

Creature of Hobbit

 


Not to be confused with Golem, I am a "Creature of Habit".  

    hab-it   

    -" A settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up".


Now this can be a good thing or a bad thing, really depends in  your habit I suppose.  For me, like most folks, I have good habits and not so good habits.

To pursue mastery, I need a strong sense of self-awareness.  To become more self-aware (in part), I have once again been reflecting on my strengths and weaknesses.  I need to recognize my weaknesses and put them out in front of me.  I need to identify my strengths and capitalize on them to help mitigate or even eliminate said shortcomings.  If my strengths and weakness are always in view, reflection is regular if not constant.

My biggest challenge is my baseline, my comfort zone, my habit, if you will.  For the majority of my 34 years on this planet, I have developed a more sedentary type lifestyle.  Over the years, I have been active to a degree with this activity or that activity, but I always tend to return to my baseline.  When things get tough (at work, home or even Kung Fu) or if I get overwhelmed or I just need a break, my comfort zone is right there.  Waiting.  It's so...well...comfortable.  In pursuit of mastery and becoming a blackbelt, I have to keep the awareness of this sedentary abyss in front of me.  In front of me always.

I know I have blogged about this before, but one solution for me is to replace old habits with new ones by creating a routine.  Getting so accustomed to this routine so that one day, maybe I can change my baseline.  The problem with relying solely on routine, is at some point regardless of how in grained it becomes, something will always disrupt that routine.  When life happens, when my routine is disrupted, I can't return to my abyss.  A disruption for a day should be just that and the next should start anew.

Well, that's it for now.  I'm sure there is more to come on this.

Thanks for reading.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...