I have been taking stock as of late. Reflecting on my current situation and how it is affecting my Kung Fu and my training in general. I soon realized that I was asking myself the wrong question. I should be asking myself how is my Kung Fu and my training affecting my current situation.
Mind blown right?
As I pondered the many aspects and perspectives related to this, it became clear to me that I need to $h!t or get off the pot. My apologies, HR just advised me that expression is no longer acceptable!
As I pondered the many aspects and perspectives related to this, it became clear to me that I need to fish or cut bait. Well that actually works better, you wouldn't have liked the first picture.
As you can imagine, life lately is like a rollercoaster; ups, downs, flips and flops. Some days it feels like I've done a complete 180 and am heading right back to where I started. Others feel like I have gotten stuck in the middle of a loop or corkscrew and am hanging upside down. And yes, there are some that are like coming off that first peak and you are cruising forward at record speeds, nothing but the wind in my glorious hair to slow me down. Leave it alone Debra.
So Mike, you ask...where are you? How are things going? How are your numbers? Thank you once again for the insightful quandaries.
I can tell you the year started off shaky, I had a plan, but mentally I was stuck in limbo. I created a list for myself, not to check things off per se, but to keep track of what I have achieved and what I have yet to. For the past month or so, I have been focusing my training on what will serve me (and my Kung Fu) best. I am sure I have mentioned this before, but my key areas are losing weight and developing my cardio, thereby increasing my endurance and stamina. Also, I am developing my flexibility and my strength (both core and in general).
Things from a Kung Fu perspective are good. Not great, but consistently improving and I am confident things will continue to improve as I focus my training and stay on course. When I asked myself about how Kung Fu and my training are affecting my situation, I realized something. There are obviously days where I am fatigued mentally, physically and emotionally. These days, there is nothing more I want to do than curl up under my burrito blanket (If you don't know what that is, you should google it. it's a game changer), cover my head and forget that the world exists. There are days, probably more than there should be, that I did just that. There are also days, where I pushed that fatigue aside and I trained. Sometimes a form or two, usually some push ups and some sit ups, walking up and down 14 flights of stairs or going for a 2-3 hour walk. When I look back at these nights, the following days definitely start much better. More energy, a clearer mind and even a renewed sense of purpose. So, when I do train, when I do Kung Fu I am able to tackle the chaos I call life right now.
As I get my feet back under me and use my training to serve me, I have started to climb out of the hole I let myself get buried in. My push ups and sit ups are at 7200, about a third of where they should be. I have been focusing on technique ensuring I am doing these properly, and although I am still aiming for my requirement, I am confident that the numbers I do get will serve me in the long run. I have 485 kms logged which is about 100 km behind. I have no doubt that these numbers will continue to increase but again in away that will serve me. I am walking a lot, but I am also using this as one way to promote my weight loss and build cardio. Walking alone is not enough so I have been taking the opportunity to incorporate some light running and many, many flights of stairs. As my endurance develops, I will be able to do more stairs. There are several flights that I could be doing each day but then I would be greeted at the top by nurses and doctors wanting to chat with me. I did that once, it was a bit awkward as I was stealing everyone else's air. My form numbers are low, but for the last while, I have been mindful to incorporate these when I am back at the apartment, waiting for laundry or other things. My dart form is at 98 and my drunken form is at 50. I am stuck in a few areas with my drunken form as I am unable to do certain techniques as of yet, but these are also coming along. As for Act of kindness, I have documented 582. I am living at a hospital and my commute consists of 750 steps and 3 elevator rides through three buildings full of hospital staff, patients and families (I typically go back and forth about three to five times a day). The opportunities to help someone or even just a kind gesture or comment are limitless.
Well, I am on my journey. I am focused on training in a way that serves me and ultimately my goal to become a black belt. I know I will have struggles a head of me and the extent of my training may wax and wane at times, but I will continue to progress.
Sorry for the long post. Had some catching up to do.
Thanks for reading
Mike

No comments:
Post a Comment