Sunday, August 7, 2022

Routines, Sidetracks and Starting Anew

 I don’t want to beat this topic to death, but once again I find it very pertinent for me to discuss.  

I don’t do well with change. At least certain changes. I think my brain has a finite amount of change that it can process at any given time. Once that cup runneth over, it’s time to prioritize. Although the past few months have been chock full of change I have been able to keep my head above water. I accepted the routine of having a flexible routine every day. 

My surroundings were one of the few constants in my situation and I was able to use that to my advantage. As mentioned previously, I had the ability to somewhat customize my environment to enhance my training. Despite my schedule being variable day to day and fairly last moment, I always knew I would have “Mike time” at some point.  As most people are aware, I got a new roommate about a month ago, which was awesome, but disruptive to the “Mike Time”.  I probably let it be more disruptive that it needed to be, but I wanted to spend a lot of time with my new roommate. As I started to develop my routine, I injured my back AND we decided to move to a new apartment. It was initially difficult to adjust, as the space is quite small and crowded. Forms have proven to be quite a challenge. With that, I let it affect other areas of my training. I fell into that “all or nothing” perspective without even knowing it. All in all I think I struggled for almost 3-4 weeks without being aware of the timelines. This past week I sat down, got my poop in group and reorganized my priorities based on my needs and current limitations/constraints.

I have focused on 18 temple motions and long as well as cardio outdoors. The frustrating part about starting anew is that you typically don’t get to start where you left off.  I don’t think I am back to square one, but I am definitely not where I was.  It is a struggle with the mental game at this point.  “Why start if I’m just going to have to start again?”. This is where I need to learn from yesterday but not dwell on it to the point it affects today and tomorrow.

We have started the countdown to when we expect to move back home, it is now single digit days away.  The word excited doesn’t even capture our feelings. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little concerned about another change and how it will affect my training, but this change is one step closer to “normalcy”.  I hope and plan to mould my new normal into something that will serve me and my goals.  I have learned a lot in the past few months about myself, both physically and mentally and it will be imperative that I use these learnings as I move forward.

Thanks for reading  


Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...