Sunday, July 17, 2022

Flexibility vs Strength

 


I am sure I have said it before as have many people, but when you have an enormous "TO DO" list, it can be very overwhelming to even find a place to start.  Once you have started, it can be hard to stay on task as it is easy to get distracted by other items on the "TO DO" list.  It is important to prioritize those items that will build the basis for the other items.

In order to increase the height of my kicks, lower my horse stance (well, all my stances actually) and become more proficient at certain techniques in the drunken style, I have been focusing on my flexibility.  I do commit to different stretches both dynamic and static every day and have noticed an improvement.  It has been slow progress and it got me thinking about a few things.

Firstly, what are my limitations in regards to this?  What is a realistic goal for a fella who is 51 and has never really had great flexibility especially in the hips?  When is stretching too much?  Obviously I avoid pain, but it is difficult to distinguish pain from merely discomfort. Is it realistic to think I can develop my flexibility enough that I can kick at the height of my head?  I dunno, but I am trying.

Secondly, I do notice pain when I try to get out of a few of my stretches.  I feel like I do not have the strength to comfortably resume a natural position of comfort without shifting or moving to take some pressure off.  I am not sure if this is normal or a sign that I am exceeding my limits too far or if I need to spend more time developing strength throughout the entire scope of my flexibility.  I am not sure if that makes sense but essentially, I can throw a kick at a certain height (as far as my flexibility will allow), but am I using strength to get it there or momentum?  I think for the most part right now it is momentum.  I do know that if I throw a kick out, I typically cannot hold my leg at the apex if you will.  It will come down to a height that I can hold it.  I am assuming this is my strength threshold.

I am also assuming if I do more dynamic stretching, including more basic kicks, this will help develop that strength. 

Thanks for reading.

Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...