With the past year, I have really tried to focus on gratitude. Being appreciative for what I have and not resentful for what I don’t have. Similar to what I posted about being “blessed” or “lucky”, this is not only a result of perspective, but will also help maintain a positive view and outlook.
This is much easier said than done. It isn’t something that just happens by itself. This is a mindful and active process, which I suppose makes sense.
I try to start and end each day with an affirmation of what I am grateful for. People, situations, encounters or things from my day, week or generally in my life.
When speaking with several old friends a few weeks ago that I haven’t seen in a long time, the conversations would typically start the same. They would all ask how Jackie and I and the family are doing given the past year. I would say how it has been a tough year, but how we are grateful for it. At this point I would usually get a look back like I had a banana growing out of my head. I would then explain the perspectives we have gained. From speaking to people and hearing their stories to simply gaining an appreciation for everything we do have. It is easy to take the many things we have for granted.
I am grateful for my family and friends, my health and career, my community and the country in which I live which gives me many, many more things to be grateful for. I am also grateful for the opportunity to be part of a community of like minded people that help me become a better me.
I am grateful for being a part of something that is bigger than myself but it is something that will allow and empower me to achieve my life goals. I am grateful for finding Kung Fu, the I Ho Chuan and my many mentors and training partners.
Happy Thanksgiving
Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment