Engagement has been a struggle for the past month or so. It started with extrinsic factors like missing a few classes because of work, then unable to partake in a lot of activities due to recurrent back pain and even isolating due to illnesses. Although, it seems like the rest of the world is going back to a pre-covid normal, that just isn't possible for us. If I come home from work sick, I need to isolate as best as I can from Jackie. Even with that, she ended up getting sick a few weeks ago.
But what started off as primarily extrinsic, definitely became intrinsic. Allowing those external factors to affect me mentally and emotionally, definitely impacted my motivation and engagement even more so than the original physical issues. Don't get me wrong, these issues do impact everyone in different ways and they should, but it is how you then deal with them that is important.
I have NOT been a good example of starting anew. I have allowed myself to settle into a rut. The longer you stay in that rut, the harder it is to get out. I am working to get out of that rut, trying to start anew. The extrinsic factors are still there and will probably be there for most of my journey this year. I need to acknowledge this and adapt my journey accordingly, accepting certain limitations and pushing past others.
The trick for me is understanding which is which.
Thanks for reading.
Mike
Let us know if there is anything you need. Kick in the butt?
ReplyDeleteI can relate to how difficult it can be to pull yourself out of the rut. Even more so when there are physical and emotional issues at play as well. What has worked for me is to stay as engaged as possible. Attending classes virtually or in person, blogging, and one on one’s are great. And if that is too much or not doable pick at least 1 thing that you do for yourself. It could be mindful breathing, gratitude every day or making a healthy eating choice for example. And focus on your successes.
ReplyDeleteI could be a virtual training partner if you are interested.
ReplyDeleteIt’s good that you recognized this before it got out of hand. Let us know how we can help!
ReplyDeleteThere is never a reason why you cant start anew again now.
ReplyDeleteOne on ones?
ReplyDelete