As I reflect back on the week and finish off some notes in my journal, my mind is swimming with different thoughts, ideas and emotions. I am not sure if this week was special and so many things happened, or if it was a run of the mill week but I just happened to be paying attention or was mindful of the happenings around me, or maybe as I reflect, I am in the right mood or have the right perspective to see things for what they were and am truly appreciative for them.
None-the-less, what a week this has been.
I have seen some consistency in my daily routine which has provided dividends with consistency in my numbers and my requirements. With my current physical constraints, my numbers are not where I want them to be, but they are consistently moving in the right direction which I think is the first part of the battle. Sifu Brinker's post regarding pain, injury and healing reminded me that I need to recognize where that fine line between growth and stagnation is. As I age, I have found this more and more difficult to define. What were once simple little injuries or muscle tweaks that were isolated with minimal collateral problems seem to morph and expand and linger. Oh, how they linger. I have focused on my awareness of my current back pain. I think it is import to state, I have focused on my awareness of this pain, I have not focused on the pain, if that makes sense.
I have felt some minor changes in some techniques, specifically kicks. I'm not sure if I would highlight these as break-throughs per se, but I feel more aware of certain aspects regarding my spinning back kicks. Movements and articulations that have perplexed me seem to make sense; however, I am now aware of other components of the technique that are now causing me to ponder and scratch my head.
I would be remiss if I didn't comment about the second-degree class Saturday morning. I can definitely say that training in physical isolation has been difficult in so many ways, but I didn't realize how much getting back in the kwoon with a few other people was so important and impactful. Saturday morning's class was so powerful. By noon my back was screaming, but it didn't matter. The excitement, thrill and sheer satisfaction of class overshadowed any pain I was in. Thank you to my fellow second-degree classmates and to all the black belts who attended and wore masks. To know that I could attend class without anxiety or worrying about Jackie meant more to me than you can imagine.
These are but a few examples of things that I recall.
Yup, what a week it has been.
Although I am currently at work, on a Sunday night, what a way to finish the week...
I am writing my blog while I eat my supper.
I am having Shawarma.
Thanks for reading.
Mike

No comments:
Post a Comment