Sunday, March 10, 2024

Why Do I Study Kung Fu?

This question is such an important part of self awareness.  This is something that we should all ask ourselves and probably on a regular basis.  The answer may change now and then as we are all changing and evolving, but it also can serve as a good reminder of why we are doing what we are doing and what our intent is or was.

My answer is not complicated, but it is long winded.  So for now, I'll give the abbreviated version.

Initially, a started kung fu as a way to get into shape. To become involved in a regular activity that would promote fitness and weight loss.  As the months and years went by, my answer changed.  It had evolved beyond physical fitness to include mental well being, community awareness and mindfulness in my every day life.

At some point along my journey, I needed to self-reflect on my kung fu and my intent of being a student.  I needed to decide whether I was simply attending classes or if I was prepared to call myself a martial artist, because those are very different things.  

So...why do I study kung fu?

I study kung fu for physical and mental well being, to better understand my body, mind and health, to develop empathy for others, to become more mindful with my diet, my actions and my attitudes towards others, to learn what it means to strive for mastery and to share that journey with like minded people and finally because I am a martial artist. 

This list is far from exhaustive, but I thought that was already too much of a run on sentence.

Numbers coming on Tuesday's post.

Thanks for reading

Mike


1 comment:

  1. I like this post because I think it reflects a lot of our journeys in Kung Fu has been but also our own individual struggles! Thanks for sharing this!ᕙ(`▿´)ᕗ

    ReplyDelete

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...