Tuesday, May 21, 2024

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

 A few weeks ago we were talking about trajectory in the 2nd degree brown belt class.  This is not a new conversation, I know I have talked about my trajectory many times.  But in this conversation, Sifu Brinker made a simple gesture with his forearm; he pointed it down for a negative trajectory, level for stagnation and upwards for a positive trajectory.  This was a very simple visual.  I've probably done the same thing before, but this time it gave me pause to think, "what is my actual trajectory?". I know it's positive because I'm adding to my numbers each week. I record the numbers, I fill them into a fancy spreadsheet and I see them.  But it doesn't really paint a picture, at least in my mind. So...I took my fancy spreadsheet and made some fancy pictures.

 


Well, some fancy graphs at least. Although my trajectory is still positive, I have a long way to go to get it where I want it to be.  I am still navigating an old injury and some new ones, but this shows I may need to test my limits where I can.  Now an exercise like can be positive to ones growth or catastrophic depending on your perspective. I have had time to "mull" these over and they have motivated me to push a bit harder to find my limits each week and then back it off if I need to.  This will still require careful navigation on my part.


Thanks for reading

Mike






1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I get a lot more out of visuals than raw data, too.

    ReplyDelete

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...