Monday, February 6, 2023

Back Pain, Numbers And An Awesome Eighties Reference



Two weeks into the new year and I find myself already taking stock of where I am and where I want to be. I am making slight course corrections to stay on track.  Which is good, even at two weeks.  Actually, this could have been done earlier.  On a journey of this magnitude, being off course even half a degree this early can significantly impact your destination and may need major corrections further down the road if not corrected now.  This holds true for all aspects of my training, from daily requirements and numbers, to detailed aspects of forms and techniques.

This concept isn't new nor terribly difficult to manage, but I have found myself once again navigating physical ailments and limitations. This can make course corrections somewhat more complex but not impossible.  I have had issues with my back since I was a teenager.  I then found myself in a career that I abused my back for the better part of twenty years. Needless to say this has been my most significant physical barrier to deal with.  For the past month or so, I have been struggling with muscular pain that is different from what I am used to.  Certain activities and non activities definitely aggravate it and I have to figure out what relieves it.

Sit ups, push ups, kicks and forms have been uncomfortable or painful.  I have needed to find ways to modify what I am doing so it is sustainable despite this injury while staying committed to the intent.  As an example, I have tried to modify my push ups in several different ways, inclined, knee push ups, etc., and while these seem easier to do, they still affect my back and cause issues.  I have found using free weights seem to be working for me right now.  I feel like it is still a challenge yet has minimal affects on my back.

In addition to this, I need to get my health care team back together.  It is important when you are stressing your body, both physically and mentally, you really need a multi-disciplinary team on your side supporting you in reaching your goals. This is something I have definitely let slide this past year, but I am in the process of "getting the band back together".

Thanks for reading

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slumps and Starting Anew

In my last post, I spoke about routines and how I was really focusing on my routine while away.  Being mindful and flexible with my routine ...